Monday, December 12, 2011

Facebook Fast for the Weak

Alright, so I am now on my second week of my facebook fast. Everyday I find myself listening to a song or hearing something stupid and thinking "Facebook status!" only to remember that there will be no updating facebook. Then it hit me: what about those people who are so excited about Jesus and they cannot share him? I get bummed out when I can't go on Facebook, and yet I can share Jesus any moment of the day...and I don't need Facebook to do it. I tended to use Facebook as my medium to share the Gospel, and that was my justification for being on Facebook everyday: it's just another way to tell people about the Lord. I had the typical "Christian" song lyric status or the once a week Bible verse, and I felt as though that was good enough. I got the Word out, now it was people's choice whether or not to read it or "like" it.

Is that "good enough?" There are people in other countries dying because of their love for Jesus and their inability to hold it in, and here I am squeezing something Christian out every once in a while. Now, don't get me wrong; I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart, but I tended to share my heart with Facebook at the same time. I believe that we have to put on our "Christian face" at all times because it should be our only face. It shouldn't have to be en effort show people the love in my heart, nor should I base things off how many people commented.

My friend said that almost every Christian girl has done a "Facebook fast" and that it's kinda weird. Now let me say this: it was not planned. One day I came home from school tired of drama and school stuff and suddenly feeling this desire to grow in my relationship with God, so I said my farewells and told everyone I would see them in a month. BAM Cold Turkey, just like that. I changed my home page to a devo site...and yet everyday I change the page to google as soon as it loads. I haven't looked twice at that page since I put it up. It's time to get down and dirty. I'm tired of saying I'm gonna grow in the Lord and then forget about it as soon as the internet loads. This is my promise and my challenge to you: realize that something is taking the place of/or sharing your heart with Christ, take a break, and then pray about it so that your heart with fill that emptiness with Christ.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment